Saturday, April 4, 2009

B-12 Running club. First run.

I’m sitting here because it hurts to stand! My Achilles tendons are so sore. I invited a few friends over to the house yesterday for a 12 mile run. I put together an invitation and called it “Bountiful’s dozen”. We had ten runners commit to the race and each would bring a snack or something to drink for the others. Tara, Jarin, and Grandma helped us out by setting up aid stations every three miles. They were a big help, not only because we needed the re-fueling but it was a big moral boost every time we reached a station. I’m training for the SLC marathon on April 18th and I don’t know how the hell I’m going to run 26.3 miles. Bountiful’s dozen didn’t flow so I changed the name to the B-12 running club. Jeremy Butler and his girlfriend Lindsey came (Lindsey ran only three but she pushed her kid in a stroller). Carter and his new girlfriend Corey (strong runner), Shannon Rosser, her friend Julie, Jarins brother Brandon, and I were the orginal runners of the B-12 club. Jarin and Ryan Knighton were the other two of the original ten that didn’t race.

I went to bed the night before just having eaten a great pasta meal Tara made for us. I fell asleep around 10:30 pm and woke up at 7:00am. I was laughing at myself because when I was trying to fall asleep I kept getting nervous for the race, just like if it was a real event. When I woke up I felt tightness in my left Achilles and knew based on my 7 mile run last Saturday that I needed to do something or I’d never make it 12 miles. I jumped in the car and cruised over to Sports Authority to see if they had something I could put on my leg. They had everything a runner would need except where the Achilles support bands were it had a sign the said “temporarily out of stock”. I asked the worker and he said for some reason they did a re-call on that item. I was out of luck! So I grabbed the closest thing to it, a knee support band. It was about ½” wide and it looked like it would help so I bought it. The first three miles of the race went by in what seemed like a minute because I was concentrating on my Achilles so much. Lucky for me it held up for the entire race and I was able to finish, but I’m sure feeling it today, especially when I try to walk down stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment